Top 10 Tips to Save Energy at Home
From our Energy Advisor.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated. Most insulation companies offer free consultations. If you prefer to DIY, YouTube videos are available to help, and many home improvement stores offer rental of Insulation Blowers.
- Update your lighting. Get rid of inefficient incandescent bulbs. LED’s are 60-75% more efficient, and available in desirable styles, colors, and price points. Updating recessed lighting to LED retrofits also eliminates heat loss between the trim and bulb socket.
- Consider occupancy sensors and/or timers for your lighting. This eliminates the chances of lights being left on in seldom used spaces, or when you’re away from home. Options include lamp timers, replacing light switches with sensors or timers, and light fixtures with integrated sensors.
- Make sure your water heater is set to 120 degrees. To really improve efficiency, consider replacing inefficient water heaters with a heat pump or on-demand system.
- Service your HVAC system regularly. HVAC use can account for up to 40-50% of your energy usage. Make sure furnace filters are changed quarterly (preferably) or twice a year at minimum.
- Insulate drafty windows during extreme temperatures. Plastic window insulation kits are readily available at home stores. Insulated window treatments are another good option.
- Empty your dryer’s lint trap before every load. Running all of your laundry back to back, rather than sporadically throughout the week, saves efficiency as the dryer does not have to work as hard to warm up in between loads.
- When shopping for new appliances, be sure to look for the Energy Star label. These appliances meet strict energy efficiency guidelines.
- If you own a hot tub, be sure the cover is at least 4 inches thick.
- When shopping for a new vehicle, consider an electric vehicle. On average, the cost to charge an electric vehicle is less than half the cost of gasoline.
For quick and easy ways to save money and energy throughout your home, check out our short "emPOWER" videos:
- Saving Energy in the Kitchen
- Laundry Room Tips
- Let's Talk Lighting
- Winter Heating Tips
- What are Phantom Loads?
- Touchstone Energy Efficiency Solutions
- Energy.gov Energy Cost Calculator
- Energy Star Appliance Product Finder